According to the American Hiking Society, you need to bring “ten essentials” with you every time you go hiking. In case you’re wondering, here are the ten basic hiking essentials you need to pack before heading out:
- Water as well as a portable purifier. Generally, you need to drink half a liter of water per hour.
- Sun protection (sunglasses, sunblock lotion, sun-protective clothing, etc.)
- First aid kit as well as basic first aid skills
- Appropriate footwear to take on various terrains
- Map and compass alongside electronic devices with GPS
- Rain gear and quick-drying layers
- Multi-tool or a Swiss army knife
- Shelter (a lightweight tent and blanket will do)
- Safety items such as a flashlight, a matchbox, or any emergency light
- Calorie-dense food and snacks
These are the basic hiking essentials you need to prepare to make sure your adventure is as fun and enjoyable as possible – all while being safe. Best of luck!